Friday, May 13, 2011

Is Anybody Out There???

     I attended the city wide forum for the city council debates yesterday evening and I am astounded. Education and job creation were the main problems of the city that were discussed and some very good things were said. I heard some real passion in some voices and in others I heard nothing. BUT there were only about 50 people in the room. That's what, 0.000001% of the population of Philly. Most of these were staff or family of the candidates, where the hell were the citizens???? I know Philadelphians care about their neighborhoods I have seen it from all areas. I know poor black communities, even with all its faults, that are fiercly loyal to their neighborhood and I've watched suburban whites fight tooth and nail to keep anything out of their neighborhoods that may be detrimental to it. So I know people care. Is it that we, as a city, have become so dissappointed by our local government that we've given up??? Most of what was said at the forum was right on the money when looking at the problems of jobs and education but city council cannot do it alone. A city, a thriving city, is built by the people that love it, live in it, and depend on it. A connection between the government of this city and the people needs to be formed or these problems will NOT be solved to OUR satisfactions!! Good intentions and a bus token will get me across town but thats about it. A connection must be made!!! AND with all due respect, politickin' and posturin' ain't gonna cut it!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment