Wednesday, May 4, 2011

For the Ladies...

I was listening to some of my old-school rap collection, of which I love, and I listened to a song by an artist that is huge today that really struck me. Now, mind you, I have listened to this particular track hundreds of times before but something about hearing it resonated with me this time and I realized that Cee-Lo's opening verse voices an opinion that I have desperately been trying to put into words. This is exactly my sentiments and if you are really feelin' what I'm saying then get at me...

This is Goodie Mob from there first album, the track is "Beautiful Skin" and the lyrics are Cee-Lo's;

This is out of common respect for all women period. Word up. Like this song, yo.
I’m quite single, and occasionally I mingle, but aside from all the rest,
She sparks my interest. No ma’am I don’t know you,
Just offerin the common respect I feel I owe you
Also, some conversation, companionship, common ground and common sense,
There’s no such thing as coincidence in me finding you here
And I really hate screamin in yo’ ear, so some other time, ok?
I waited a day, Hello this the caller you told from a couple of days ago,
You sound tired, forgive me if I call you too late,
But what better time to relate mind state?
Where can I begin, hasn’t anyone ever told you you got beautiful skin?
You’re more than welcome, what do you desire within?
I just wanna be, there’s no need to put titles on you and me
Those are limitations, living and learning is our only obligations
Equality, honesty, independence, intelligence.
Emotional, and devotional, humbly seekin to hear God when He’s speakin.
At one time my mind couldn’t conceive, a woman had to dress a certain way to believe.
But in the same breath, allow me to say, that
If you believe young lady, you wouldn’t dress that way, and I,
Was attracted to yo’ class, I couldn’t see all yo’ ass, and I was very content,
You deserve every compliment, now,
Remember our indifferences make us the same, you got to have game,
Or you ain’t gonna be able to take care of yourself.
And love, when I look at you, I see my reflection.
So I offer my love, affection, and protection.
Shawty, you dead fine, but the bottom line is,
You still my sister.


Well I said you’re my beginning my end,
You’re my sister, lover, and friend
Lordy, your light from within
It shines, for your beautiful skin.
What they say bout you ain’t true
There’s no me if there is no you
I hope that you understand
You got to respect yourself before I can

No comments:

Post a Comment